Talk to us arrow

hipchat Call
text.skipToContent text.skipToNavigation

Student safety in New Zealand

Ranking second on the Global Peace Index 2018, New Zealand is undoubtedly one of the safest countries in the world. All universities and colleges in New Zealand pay extreme attention to the safety of their students on campus. As an international student, you’ll have access to various points of contacts for any kind of emergency. Worry not, 24-hour security is provided at most campuses.

Contact your university security service

All campuses in New Zealand have a special body to ensure the safety of their international students. So, as the first step, check if your school offers one and keep the security officer’s number saved in your phone.

Various universities and schools also offer services like shuttles and security escorts to drop you to your accommodation or stations after hours. Some go a step further and have their own mobile apps with a direct line for students to get in touch with the security.

If, at any point of time, you feel unsafe in and around you campus or accommodation, don’t hesitate to get in touch with your college authorities.

Emergency contacts

If you happen to face any emergency, call the toll free number 111. This is a common number that can be used for fire, police, ambulance or search and rescue.

Some other emergency contact numbers you should have saved are:

  • For medical emergencies: 0800 611 116
  • To report a traffic incident: *555
  • Reach the Language Line’’ if you face difficulty communicating in English with the New Zealand Police on 0800 656 656. This service is available from 9.00 a.m. to 6.00 p.m. Monday to Friday and Saturday between 9.00 am to 2.00 p.m.  

It’s important to stay alert

Being an international student, you must always be aware and vigilant about your surroundings. Trust your instincts and move away from areas where you feel uncomfortable and are not familiar with.

Protect your money and documents

As an international student, you must keep all your documents safe with you at all times. Your passport, identification, visa papers, and immigration forms should always be kept in safe place. If you prefer to use cash, keep it in various places instead of a single location. It is always a better option to use a card rather than cash.

Do not carry your passport when you go out exploring. If you do not have a permanent place to live, contact your university’s international support team to get you campus storage facilities.

Explore with care

Exploring new venues and enjoying your new surroundings can be exciting but before taking a trip to these areas, research and look up any information you can find on that place to see whether it is safe for you to go venturing. Inform your friends and family about your plans beforehand. You can also share your live location with someone you trust.

Make friends

Venturing out into the city is both fun and safe if you have some friends along. Various universities in New Zealand have special programs like “Buddy systems” to assist international students to settle in a new environment.

Please select a level of study

Enter subject, choose from the list or hit search

  • Start typing, choose from the list or hit search

  • Enter subject, choose from the list or or hit search

Please type and select an institution

  • Type 3 characters of a university name and select from the list

  • Enter a university or school name and select from the list

Please select a level of study

Got any ideal countries in mind?