text.skipToContent text.skipToNavigation

Get the right Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC)

Congratulations! You’ve made a great decision to live and study in Australia. Before you can obtain your student visa, you'll need to buy Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC).  We’re here to make the process easy, finding the best cover to suit your needs.

Why do I need Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC)?

  1. It helps cover you for medical expenses whilst you're studying in Australia, including:
      • Doctor visits

      • Hospital

      • Emergency Ambulance

      • Prescription medicine 

  2. You will need OSHC before you can apply for your Australian Student Visa

Get the student health care stress-free with IDP 

We've done the hardwork of selecting quality providers, all meeting Australian Government visa requirements.

Our quality providers offer:

  • Exclusive benefits
  • Speedy turnaround
  • Value for Money

Apply online for a quick turnaround 

You can apply online and have a policy confirmation in just a few minutes.  Or if you need a little extra help, ask an IDP counsellor to help organise your Health Cover with you. 

Once it's done, you can rest assured that you've made the best decision for your journey. And you can move to the next job on your list!

Compare and find the health cover for your needs 

Compare and choose the most relevant, affordable health cover for your needs. Our partners policies meet the strict conditions that registered Australian health funds must comply to provide high quality cover for overseas students. 

Our Partners:


Compare OSHC providers

100% student visa compliant


Start date


Select the date you will arrive in Australia. If you are unsure choose a date upto 28 days before your courses start date.


If you are switching from another OSHC provider choose the day after your OSHC expires.

In order to keep your visa valid you must be covered for OSHC continuously.


End date


Your overseas student health cover(OSHC) must cover the full period of your visa. Your student visa can be granted upto the maximum duration outlined in the table below.

Duration of course
Add to your course end date
10 months or less
1 month
Over 10 months ending January - October
2 months
Over 10 months ending November - December
Select 15th March of the next year

For example: If your course is from 1 January 2014 to 1 September 2014 (this is under 10 months) then add one month to the course end date.

In this example your OSHC dates would be 1 January 2014 to 1 October 2014.


Recommended articles

Common healthcare words

Navigating the language used in healthcare industry can be complex. here is a glossary of key terms you might come across, and what they mean.

Getting started with Student Health Cover

IDP gives you the freedom to choose, It's easy to buy Overseas Student Health Cover(OSHC) online yourself, or you can do it with the help of and IDP counsellor.

Health and Safety tips

Australia is a safe and healthy place to live, and there's a lot to see and do. You will probably be studying in a town or city, but you may also want to experience the wild beauty of its oceans, mountains, rivers and the famous 'outback' or 'bush'.

How to use Student Health Cover

When you arrive in Australia, you may need to activate your OSHC policy and you can begin using it (but hopefully you won't need to!). Here are some tips of making a claim.

Understanding the Australian healthcare system

We're here to help you understand the Australian healthcare system and how to navigate it. A little knowledge will help you to be confident you are getting the best healthcare services, when you need them.


Can I get more information on Student visa process (Subclass 500)?
by Hendry
For applying to Student visa , You need to have CoE, Health medical examination clearance, OSHC, Academic documents, English Test results, and Financial evidentiary documents and valid passport. For info. please visit https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visas/getting-a-visa/visa-listing/student-500HowTo
How many Letters of Recommendations are required to apply to UK universities?
by Ashish
If you are a UG student then you would require 1 Reference from your School and for PG students the universities require 2 Letter of recommendations.
i have completed my physiotherapy in bachelors and i want to go for sports and exercise management? options pls?
by dhaksha
There are universities which offers Master in Sports management and Master of Sports and exercise Science, Like Deakin University, La trobe University, Bond University, Griffith University, University of Western Australia

Please select a level of study

Enter subject, choose from the list or hit search

  • Start typing, choose from the list or hit search

  • Enter subject, choose from the list or or hit search

Please type and select an institution

  • Type 3 characters of a university name and select from the list

  • Enter a university or school name and select from the list