Talk to us arrow

hipchat Call
text.skipToContent text.skipToNavigation

Job opportunities for international students in the UK

Understand the job market and explore your prospects in the UK

What if we told you that you can support your living in the UK as an international student by working part-time! Not only this, working alongside your studies is a great way to gain work experience in your field of study. 

Students holding a Tier 4 (general) or a Tier 4 (child) visa can work up to 20 hours a week during their studies and full-time during holidays vacations if they:

  1. are studying at a publicly-funded higher education institution 
  2. are studying a short-term study abroad program with an overseas higher education institution
  3. are over 16
  4. are studying a course at NQF level 6 (degree level) and above

Refer the UK Council for International Student Affairs (UKCISA) for more information. 

It is important to note that you must not breach your immigration conditions as it is against the law in the UK. You cannot work if your passport sticker or identity card says ‘No Work’ or ‘Work Prohibited’. Breaching the law in the UK can have disastrous consequences including deportation.

What are your options?

You can choose from a range of options when it comes to working as a student in the UK. If you’re lucky, you might just land up a job on the campus. Stay in touch with your campus career cell and check their notice board/online portal for regular updates on job openings.  

Nearly all retail stores and eateries hire students on a regular basis. Check for openings at nearby departmental stores, cafes, multiplexes, bars, restaurants, hotels, hostels, and takeaway stores to find a suitable job.

If you’re a masters or a doctoral students or if you think you can teach something, you could be a tutor and even earn better than the regular barista jobs. Not everyone lands up an office job, but if you have prior knowledge and experience of social media, marketing, sales, web development, etc., you could be employed on a part-time basis as an intern.

How to find part-time jobs in the UK?

  1. The best way to find a job on campus is to stay connected with your uni’s placement or career centre. They regularly update their notice board or 
  2. On-campus work opportunities include administrative jobs, at the cafeteria or as teaching assistant
  3. For off-campus jobs, look for vacancies online on portals like StudentJob, Employment 4 Student, Careers Group London, etc.
  4. Look out for jobs in hospitality and retail industry, they are usually available in abundance
  5. You can also work as a tutor if you are a student with any existing qualification or expertise

Working after you graduate

You will have to apply for a visa extension if you wish to stay and work in the UK after you finish your program.

The three most common visas available to international students are:

Start-up visa

Tier 2 (General)

Tier 5 (Temporary Worker)

Note that you’ll not be able for the popular Tier 1 (Graduate Entrepreneur) visa any more. You shall have to apply for Start-up visa. To find out if you’re eligible for any of these visas and how to go about with the process, visit the UK Government website.


UK University Guide 2021

Universities in the UK offer three major intakes for students – September, January and April. Know all about it.

Russell Group Universities

Look at our guide of estimates to help ease your financial budgeting whilst your stay as a student in the UK. Yes, we’ve covered expenses like accommodation, food, health coverage and travel too!


What are the main benefits for choosing the UK over other countries?
by Ganesh
Primary benefits include internationally recognised universities, strong research infrastructure, quality education and scholarships
What universities in Australia offer animation courses?
by inder
Universities like UTS, Swinburne and RMIT offer Master courses in Animation, however please contact an IDP counselor for options.
How many hours can I work while studying in Australia?
by Sachin
On a Student Visa you can work up to 20 hours per week while studying.

Please select a level of study

Enter subject, choose from the list or hit search

  • Start typing, choose from the list or hit search

  • Enter subject, choose from the list or or hit search

Please type and select an institution

  • Type 3 characters of a university name and select from the list

  • Enter a university or school name and select from the list