What are the student visa requirements for Canada?
Applying for a Canadian student visa? Here’s help!
The Canadian Government provides an opportunity to all Indian students to study in the country but as a prerequisite, you’ll have to obtain a Study Permit and a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV).
What is a study permit?
This is not a visa, it’s a permit or a document issued by the Citizen and Immigration (CIC) which allows you to study in Canada. If you hold a study permit, you must remain enrolled and make reasonable and timely progress towards completing your course.
Along with your study permit, you will also need a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) for your entry in Canada. Please note that a study permit is a document that allows you to study in Canada while a TRV is a visa that allows you to enter in Canada. Your counsellor will help you access the latest information and connect you with authorised migration experts.
Documents required for your study permit
To apply for your study permit, you will need:
- An acceptance letter from your education institution, and
- A valid passport or travel document
You must also:
- Prove that you have enough money to pay for your:
- tuition fees
- living expenses for yourself and any family members who come with you to Canada, and
- return transportation for yourself and any family members who come with you to Canada
- Be a law-abiding citizen with no criminal record and not be a risk to the security of Canada (you may have to provide a police certificate)
- Be in good health (you may need to complete a medical exam)
You will also be required to appear for a personal interview at the Canadian embassy or consulate.
To prove you can financially support yourself and any accompanying family members, you may be asked to provide:
- Documentation of a Canadian bank account in your name, if money has been transferred to Canada
- Documentation of a student/education loan from a financial institution
- Bank statements
- A bank draft in convertible currency
- Proof of payment of tuition and accommodation fees
- A letter for the person or institution providing your funding
- Proof of funding paid from within Canada if you have a scholarship or are enrolled in a Canadian-funded educational program
*Please note that these are the basic requirements, speak with your IDP counsellor for a detailed list of documents required for visa processing
Student Direct Stream
As an Indian student, you can get your study permit faster through the Student Direct Stream (SDS). If you choose to apply through SDS, you may need certain additional documents in this case. Your IDP counsellor can guide you through the same.
Applying for your visa online
You’ll have to apply for your student visa application online using the CIC official website. You can apply up to three months before your intended date of travel to Canada. Remember, your application date is the date when your application fee is paid.
How can we help with visa applications?
If you’re an IDP student with an offer letter from any of our partner institutions in Canada, we can advise you on how to go about the entire process. We’ll make sure you are fully informed on the latest visa requirements and conditions; and also help you prepare the right documents for your submission.
Our team will direct you to the official websites and to authorised immigration representatives to ensure you have the latest applications forms and guidance. In fact, to reduce the hassle, we can also help with certifying, translating and couriering your documents.
Study permit fee
As an applicant from outside Canada, you will have to pay CAD150 as your visa fee (do check the latest fee when applying here).
English language requirements
To gain your Canadian visa, you’ll have to provide with an evidence of proficiency in the English language. This usually means passing a secure English language test to be able to prove your communication and correspondence skills.
The International English Language Testing System (IELTS) is the world’s most popular high-stakes English language proficiency test for study, work and migration, with more than three million tests taken in the past year. The IELTS results are recognised by more than 10,000 organisations, including educational institutions, employers, professional associations and governments, in 140 countries around the world.
You can always come to us for a free counselling session where we can guide you on how to go about the entire visa application process.