Talk to us arrow

hipchat Call
text.skipToContent text.skipToNavigation

Health and Support Services

If you need any help, please just ask

Moving to a new country is not always easy. If you find yourself struggling to adjust to the new culture, or you feel someone has treated your unfairly, there are support services available to you.

Of course IDP student services offices in Adelaide, Brisbane, Melbourne, Perth and Sydney can help. You can receive help with planning further studies in Australia, making an IELTS booking, as well as visa and immigration advice.

You can also get help from:

Institution support services

They provide specialist services to help you make the adjustment to life and your studies in Australia. Services include academic and language support, student accommodation, employment services with designated international student advisers.

Student associations

Your education institution will most likely have its own student association, which can help you make the most of your time living and studying in Australia. Consider contacting national student associations such as the Council of International Students Australia or Australian Federation of International Students for assistance.

Overseas Students Ombudsman (OSO)

A free, independent and impartial service is available to help you with complaints against any private education and training institutions in Australia.

If you need to make a complaint against a public institution, you should contact the Ombudsman in the state or territory where you are studying.

Tuition Protection Service (TPS)

This service protects you in the unlikely event that your education institution becomes unable to deliver the course you have paid for.

Disability support

If you have any disability or chronic medical condition, you should contact your education institution before you arrive to discuss any special arrangements that may need to be made. If you are unhappy with the support that you receive, your first step should be to discuss this with your education institution. If If you’re still unhappy, you can ask for help from the Australian Human Rights Commission.


Your education institution may offer childcare facilities, or you can choose from a wide range of private or not-for-profit childcare centres. If you are receiving a government scholarship, you may well be eligible for child care benefit.

Consumer Protection

When buying goods or services, your rights are protected under Australian Consumer Law.


Staying healthy while you study

Whilst studying in Australia, you might find yourself in need of some medical support

If you are in a life-threatening emergency, call 000. This is a free call, and will connect you to the police, fire and ambulance services.

For general medical support, you can make an appointment with any local doctor. Your Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) will generally cover all of the costs for treatment at a doctor’s surgery or at home by a General Practitioner (GP).

Your GP may refer you to a specialist doctor, for example a cardiologist, podiatrist or dermatologist. These services can be quite expensive, and only some of these may be covered by your OSHC plan.

For dental treatment, you don’t need a referral – you can directly make an appointment yourself. Your OSHC plan will not cover your dental fees.

Recommended Reading

Why takes IELTS with IDP – We pride ourselves on providing you with outstanding customer service ensuring you have the best possible experience when taking your IELTS test with us. Our team of IELTS experts are ready to help with any questions you may have.

More Upcoming Activities


You’ll want to explore your local town, city or even the whole of Australia while you study. Depending on where you’re going and where you’re coming from, your transport options include buses, trains, taxis, ferries, planes, cars, bikes and of course, walking.

Guardianship and Welfare Services

If you’re under 18 we’ll find you a guardian. If you are under 18 when you start your studies, the Australian government requires you to nominate a legal guardian before your visa can be approved.

Group of Eight Australia

The Group of Eight (Go8) is a coalition of leading Australian universities, delivering a comprehensive range of general and professional education.

Top Cities - Melbourne

With great live music and alleyways packed with bars and cafés, Melbourne is a...


As a pioneer in International education, we are truly global in scale and experience.

Please select a level of study

Enter subject, choose from the list or hit search

  • Start typing, choose from the list or hit search

  • Enter subject, choose from the list or or hit search

Please type and select an institution

  • Type 1 character of a university name and select from the list

  • Enter a university or school name and select from the list

Please select a level of study

Got any ideal countries in mind?