Australia University Intake 2020
Australia continues to be a popular destination for many international students, charming with its array of quality universities and buzzing cityscapes, delightful culture and scenic landmarks.
While our education counsellors can help narrow down the universities that are ideal for you and guide you through the application process, it is always handy to find out what’s required and what to expect.
We’ve also created a university application timeline which depicts how early you should apply as well as the documents and actions required.
For Australia, the main intake periods are:
Semester 1: Starts late February/ early March
Semester 2: Starts late July/early August to November
Usually, students choose an intake based on a range of factors such as preferred choice of study, the availability of a program in a particular university and academic records.
There are also application deadlines for each intake (below), and these can vary for certain institutions and programs with a different intake from the main ones. It would be best to speak with one of our counsellors to get tailored advice and up-to-date information.
|Intake||Recommended to Apply By|
|Semester 1 (February intake)||October-November|
|Semester 2 (July intake)||April-May|
We’ve also charted a timeline to give you an overview of the university application journey, to better prepare you for an exciting new chapter ahead.
Explore study abroad options
Make an appointment with a counsellor (0.5 to 2 years to course commencement)
- Bring along any questions you wish to ask - such as cost of living, which is the most ideal university, etc
Book an IELTS test if required (Within 2 years to course commencement)
- Take IELTS Academic
- *English waiver for schools - please check with counsellor
Prepare necessary paperwork
- Transcripts and certificate: Year 10 (O Level) onwards
- Explanation of gap period after studies: Statement of activities in form of CV/resume, enlistment letter, etc
- Additional: Statement of purpose, supplementary forms, portfolio, etc
Apply to universities
- Check with counsellor for application fee waiver
- Application deadline: If there is one, make sure that you submit to us at least 1-2 weeks in advance.
- Entry to schools: Courses are either by GPA only or competitive placing
- Postgraduates will receive offer in 4 to 8 weeks after application
- Undergraduates will receive offer in 2 to 6 weeks after application
- **Note: Some universities will only assess your application depending on the semester you apply to (e.g. July 2020 intake will only be assessed in March 2020)
Accept offer (4 months to commencement)
**Note: This does not apply for limited space programme – closes as soon as spaces are filled
- Concurrently introduction and application to Student Essential Services:
- Overseas student and/or Visitor Health Cover (OSHC/OVHC)
- Guardianship services (if under 18)
Receive Confirmation of Enrolment (1 to 2 weeks after accepting offer)
- Apply for essential services
Apply for visa
- Your counsellor would have gone through the acceptance checklist which will cover on the process and items needed for your student visa
- 2 to 4 weeks after clearing necessary appointments
- This includes health check-ups and Biometrics
- These will be arranged after visa submission
Pre-departure seminar (1 month before course commencement)
Arrive in destination
Keen to kick-start your study abroad journey? Simply fill in your details and chat with our counsellors for free. Get ready to revel in a world of experiences.