Study Engineering in Australia
Here’s everything you need to know to start your engineering program in Australia!
Engineering is one of the most popular choices among international students who want to use their creativity to change the world, learn how to solve problems and explore how things works.
Engineering programs combine theoretical knowledge with practical applied work. Students are taught to apply mathematical and scientific principles in order to develop effective solutions to real-world technical problems.
Why study engineering in Australia?
- Australia offers education experience that makes a real difference. The engineering colleges in Australia encourage engineers to be more creative, innovative and think independently.
- The Australian Engineering colleges offer specialized Bachelor’s Degrees, Graduate Certificates, Postgraduate Diplomas, Masters, Professional Doctorates and PhD’s to students across the globe.
- Engineering universities in Australia lay equal emphasis on theoretical as well as practical learning.
- Be it mechanical, agricultural, aerospace, electronics or even chemical, Australian universities offer a wide range of engineering courses to students across the globe.
- Excellent employment prospects await students who study engineering in Australia.
- Both Graduates and Post – Graduates have to undergo internship that provide international students with the opportunity to gain industry insights of various industries.
How to choose the best engineering school for you?
Of the large number of engineering colleges in Australia, it is important to be able to choose the right one for you. This is a decision that must be taken after due consideration. Here are some factors that you should consider before selecting your engineering school:
- Academic Excellence – Research on reviews and teaching professors can give a good insight into course curriculum in addition to course descriptions. A good experience can move beyond traditional education boundaries and provides excellent teaching support for the track you wish to pursue.
- Location – With its vast area and large provinces, Australia contains several popular choices for international students. Choose the city that fits best in terms of lifestyle, budget and university choices.
- Cost – Tuition fees and scholarship can vary between universities, along with the kind of financial assistance and scholarships available.
- International Student Support – Find a university that offers well-planned support for international students, as they can advise on essentials such as accommodation, student welfare, and post-graduate employment opportunities.
How much does an engineering degree cost in Australia?
The cost of studying engineering in Australia can range from AUD 20,000 to approximately AUD 50,000 per year (indicative). The cost of study varies depending on many factors, including the university, your program of study and location. However, many universities in Australia offer scholarships for qualified international students. You can benefit from these scholarships to lower the cost of your study there.
Your IDP counsellor can provide you with the latest information about the cost of studying engineering in Australia and help you choose the best engineering university that suits your budget.
Popular engineering courses in Australia
- Architecture & Environmental Engineering
- Chemical Engineering
- Civil & Structural Engineering
- Electrical & Electronic Engineering
- Computer and Information Systems
- Mechanical & Aeronautical Engineering, and Manufacturing
Admission requirements for Australian universities
Students applying for undergraduate and postgraduate engineering programs in Australia must have an overall IELTS band score of 6.5, with no individual sub-score less than 6.0.
Along with that, they must have completed their senior secondary school in their native country and must furnish the required mark sheets at the time of admission.
On the other hand, students applying for post graduate courses must have a relevant undergraduate degree from a recognized university or an equivalent diploma or certificate. Special focus is given to the projects made during the final year of undergraduate study.
Which university is the best for engineering in Australia?
Australia is home to some of the world’s top universities for different courses and subfields of engineering. The Australian universities earn perfect scores in the employer reputation indicator and the research citations per paper indicator.
The table below displays the top 10 Australian universities in engineering and technology, according to the QS World University Rankings by Subject 2020: Engineering and Technology. Your IDP counsellor can help you find and apply to your dream course at all of these top universities:
|University||QS World Ranking|
|The University of New South Wales||37|
|The University of Melbourne||41|
|The University of Sydney||61|
|Australian National University||71|
|The University of Queensland||76|
|University of Technology Sydney||106|
|The University of Adelaide||126|
|The University of Western Australia||143|
Speak with IDP Education counsellor today to find the latest information about admission requirements for your engineering program and secure your place at your dream university!
Let’s get started
Sign up or login in with one click
View your shortlist or close this box to continue researching