Talk to us arrow

hipchat Call
text.skipToContent text.skipToNavigation

Transport in Australia

Check out the transport concessions for students in Australia

Travelling from A to B quickly and easily

The cost of public transport is dependent on where in Australia you live and the type of transport you use. Check the relevant state government websites like Transport NSW or Public Transport Victoria for the full range of services available, timetables and the costs associated.


Driving regulations differ from state to state in Australia. In some states, if you hold a temporary visa, you are not required to get an Australian driver licence and or/learner permit as you are allowed to use your current overseas driver licence for the length of your stay.

Other states, however, require permanent visa holders to get an Australian driver licence six months from the date they first entered Australia.

If you want to drive, it is best to consult the traffic authority in your Australian state or territory for further information.

Choose the state or territory you will be driving in to find out more about driving with a foreign licence.

ACT    NSW    NT    QLD    SA    TAS    VIC    WA

Transport Concessions


The ACT government provides transport concessions. Just present your formal student identification card or upon successful application for an ACTION Students Concession Card. For more info on student concession cards for the ACT, visit ACTION.


Generally, international students are not eligible for transport concessions but tertiary institutions are now able to offer discounts on My Multi passes offering periodic unlimited travel on buses, trains, light rail and ferries in Greater Sydney, the Hunter and Illawarra. International students are only entitled to concession fares when their study is fully funded by specified Australian Government scholarships. For further details, please refer to Transport For NSW.


School students travel free by presenting a valid student card. University and VET students, however, are permitted unlimited bus travel for three hours on any scheduled public bus service at a cost of $1.00 with a valid student card. Details are available in the NT Department of Transport website.


You are eligible for concessions on public transport if you are a full-time international student studying in a course approved by Centrelink for Austudy, Abstudy or Youth Allowance purposes. Check out the Translink website for full details on Queensland concession fares.


As an international student in South Australia, you may eligible for transport concessions upon presenting your formal student identification card. Go to Adelaide Metro for further information on fares and conditions.


Students may be eligible for a concession card if they are studying as part of an approved exchange program, have a refugee status or hold an Australian Development Scholarship. Get detailed information from Public Transport Victoria or check with your education provider about your eligibility.


International students and local students are eligible for the same travel concessions. For more details on transport concessions in Tasmania, visit Tasmanian Government Discounts & Concessions.


International students studying full time in Western Australia are eligible for transport concessions. Get more information about concession passes on the Transperth website.

Recommended articles

People and Culture

Even if you haven’t been to Australia before, you’d probably recognise it on a map. It’s the world’s largest island - surrounded by the waters of the Indian and Pacific Oceans – but it’s also the world’s smallest continent.

Money and Living Expenses

Knowing how much you need to for living expenses is a great starting point, but keep in mind the cost of living may be higher or lower depending on where you live.


Places to visit in Australia

Millions of people visit Australia each year to visit its pristine coastal areas, lush rainforests and red deserts, and enjoy its world-class food and wine, beautiful beaches, unique flora and fauna and relaxed, friendly atmosphere.

Please select a level of study

Enter subject, choose from the list or hit search

  • Start typing, choose from the list or hit search

  • Enter subject, choose from the list or or hit search

Please type and select an institution

  • Type 3 characters of a university name and select from the list

  • Enter a university or school name and select from the list

Please select a level of study

Got any ideal countries in mind?

No Event Found.