Talk to us arrow

hipchat Call
text.skipToContent text.skipToNavigation

Work opportunities for students in Australia

During your studies

A student visa in Australia allows international students to work part-time while studying. All student visa holders are entitled to work 20 hours a week, and unrestricted hours during any scheduled course break. Unlimited work hours only apply to the spouse or the common-law partner of Master of PhD students.

After your studies

Having an Australian tertiary qualification is highly regarded around the world.

If you have completed a bachelor, master or PhD degree, you may be eligible for the Post-Study Work stream of the Temporary Graduate (subclass 485) visa. This may enable you to stay in Australia following your studies to gain practical experience working in your field.

More information on Post-Study Work Rights is available on the Department of Immigration and Border Protection website.

If like most international students, you are thinking of university courses that would provide a decent return on investment – in terms of salaries and progression – you might want to check out the top 10 highest-paying jobs in Australia right now.

Need to take IELTS?

Highest-Paying Jobs in Australia Right Now

Take a deeper look at some of the highest-paying jobs in the Australian market this year, and find out the courses you can take to help you embark on these career pathways.

Step-by-step guide

With close to 50 years of experience and almost 500,000 students placed around the world, IDP Education has the experience to help you find the perfect country, school, and home abroad.

Please select a level of study

Enter subject, choose from the list or hit search

  • Start typing, choose from the list or hit search

  • Enter subject, choose from the list or or hit search

Please type and select an institution

  • Type 3 characters of a university name and select from the list

  • Enter a university or school name and select from the list