Scholarships and financial aid
New Zealand offers several scholarships to international students. Particularly, many of the institutions have special scholarships for students from Southeast Asia.
Victoria University of Wellington ASEAN Undergraduate Tuition Fees Scholarship
- Be a citizen of an ASEAN country. ASEAN countries are Brunei, Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Myanmar, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand and Vietnam;
- Have an excellent record of academic achievement in their secondary school/university foundation programme studies;
- eligable to obtain a student visa;
- Produce evidence of achievements or forecast achievements to meet the admission requirements;
- Have met Victoria’s English language requirements for undergraduate study;
- Not have lodged, personally or as dependents, a current application for migration or have been granted residence status in New Zealand.
University of Otago New Zealand ASEAN Scholar Awards
The New Zealand ASEAN Scholar Awards covers full tuition fees, a fortnightly living allowance, an initial establishment allowance on arrival, medical and travel insurance, travel from and to your home country, home leave or reunion travel for some scholars, assistance with research and thesis costs for many postgraduate research students. These scholarships are offered for postgraduate level study only.
University of Auckland Summer Research Scholarships
This scholarship is open to high-achieving domestic and international students who are enrolled in a New Zealand or international university and have the potential to succeed in postgraduate study. Scholarship offers will be made in September. You should apply for visas, accommodation and insurance arrangement as soon as you receive your offer of a scholarship.
University of Waikato International Excellence Scholarship
To be eligible, applicants must:
- be a citizen of a particular country from the regions: North America, Latin America, Europe, East Asia, South Asia, South East Asia, Middle East, Africa.
- have met the University of Waikato’s English language requirements for admission;
- have received a Firm or Conditional Offer of Place from the University of Waikato;
- in the year of tenure, be commencing a full-time programme/s of study with a total duration of not less than 12 months at the University of Waikato;
- be residing in New Zealand for the tenure of the scholarship;
- not be coming to the University of Waikato via a sponsoring body; and
- not be coming to the University of Waikato on a Guaranteed Credit Arrangement, or through a study abroad or student exchange agreement.
For more information on these scholarships, click here.