Vocational Education Training Pathway
Vocational Education and Training (VET) is an educational and training course that focuses on providing real-world, practical and professional skills for work. Students and professionals choose to pursue a VET qualification as a pathway to entering the workforce in a sector they desire or entering a university for a course they desire to enroll in.
There is a wide range of vocational training courses that cover a spectrum of industries including information technology, business services, art and media, tourism and hospitality, child care, transport and logistics and manufacturing.
VET courses cover more work-orientated occupational skills with less emphasis on theory-based knowledge. Vet courses provide students with training in:
- Vocational skills for their particular occupations (eg. manufacturing and media production)
- Professional training for their vocation and its related work (eg. occupational health & safety and computer office skills)
- Concepts and practical training for courses in service-related vocations (eg. hospitality & tourism)
Many countries like Australia, allow students to attain their VET qualification abroad. Students will benefit from quality training and leave with a nationally recognised qualification that can be used to enter higher tertiary education courses including bachelor degrees in universities.
Types of VET Courses and Qualifications
There are many VET courses that students can choose from to suit their desired end goals. These include:
- Certficate I to IV: These courses teach industry-specific knowledge and skill training. These include industry-specific knowledge and skills plus basic competency training in communication, literacy and numeracy. Depending on the institution and the certificate level, the course duration can last anywhere from 6 months to two years with part-time study arrangements available.
- Diploma & Advanced Diploma: These are courses that will prepare students for industry, enterprise and paraprofessional careers in disciplines such as accounting, media, building design and engineering. Diplomas will typically take 1.5 to 2 years of full-time study.
- Vocational graduate certificate/diploma: These qualifications provide higher-level skills and knowledge that is directly focused on the vocation the students are looking to enter or are currently in such as professional accounting. The graduate certificate can take up to 1 year of full-time study while the graduate diploma can take up to 2 years of full-time study.
- English language courses: Certain VET training institutions will also provide English language courses. These are useful to prep students looking to further their education in higher institutions such as universities or to improve their on-the-job communication in English-speaking environments. The length of such courses can range from 4 to 48 weeks.
Why to Study & Undertake Vocational Education Training
- Allows students to directly begin a career in their chosen discipline and industry
- Upgrade their skills in their chosen field to access greater advancement opportunities
- Allows students to move into a different career path or industry
- Students can utilise their VET qualification in getting into higher education pathways such as a bachelor’s degree from a university.
Entering Higher Education Using The Vocational Education Training Qualification
Many universities and higher institutions recognise VET courses at the certificate IV, diploma and advanced diploma level as entry points into their undergraduate degree programs.
In addition, students can also enjoy advanced credit towards certain related or relevant coursework. This can come in the form of module (subject) exemptions or a reduction in course semester duration, depending on the institution itself.
Choosing your Vocational Education Training Provider
Here are some key things to look out for in choosing providers and institutions for your VET certification.
- Accredited Training – Research on reviews and teaching staff can give a good insight into the course curriculum in addition to course descriptions. Understand if the training is recognised by your professional body and industry.
- Location – Whether it’s in the UK or Australia look for a university situated in a region that offers you the best mix of lifestyle and standard of living.
- Cost – While tuition fees shouldn’t vary too much for the same course, the kind of financial assistance and scholarships available to you may differ more substantially. Look for an institution that offers scholarships and determine if you are eligible, some scholarships are only awarded to students in certain countries and regions.
- International Student Support – Find an institution that offers well-planned support for international students, as they can advise on essentials such as accommodation, student welfare, and post-graduate employment opportunities.
Admission requirements for Vocational Education Training
To gain admission to vocational education training courses in English speaking countries such as Australia, there are a few requirements that you will need for entry.
- An IELTS (Academic) overall score of 5.5 and no less than 5.0 in each section or a Cambridge certificate (FCE or higher). Depending on the institution, there may be preliminary English tests before admission is granted.
- You will be required to have completed high-school in your home country. (Depending on the institution and country, this requirement could range slightly lower or higher)
- Depending on your study destination, you will have to get the required student or study visa that will cover the duration of the training course you are enrolling in.
- You might also need to provide additional documentation such as proof of employment in certain roles if you are pursuing higher training courses such as the vocational graduate diploma.
Finding the best vocational training can be overwhelming. Let us help! We will help guide you through the entire process from course selection to university and visa application. Speak to our education specialists now for free.