PhD in New Zealand
New Zealand universities offer PhD (Doctor of Philosophy) education in a wide range of subjects. A PhD course in New Zealand means 3–4 years of full-time study, and the student is required to prepare a substantial thesis under pedagogical supervision. Before the degree is awarded, the candidate’s knowledge is tested through a verbal examination of the thesis.
Why get your PhD in New Zealand?
New Zealand has been offering university education since 1870 and has several globally acclaimed universities which provide PhD courses. Along with a higher standard of education and broader career opportunities, there are several other reasons that make New Zealand an attractive student’s destination to pursue a PhD. Some of these are:
● International candidates enjoy the same tuition rates as locals for PhD programs
● International candidates and their partners are both eligible for an open work permit and can work full time during the duration of the PhD program.
● International candidates with dependent children can enrol them in public primary and secondary schools at the same fees as those for resident children.
● On completion of PhD, Graduates can apply for a 12-month Post-Study Work Visa to stay in New Zealand and work.
Choosing your university
Key things to consider in choosing your university include your chosen field of study, available research facilities, university ranking and infrastructure, PhD faculty, and funding options.
Admission requirements for universities in New Zealand
The basic requirements to get admission in PhD in New Zealand Universities include:
● A master’s degree in a related field with strong grades and proven research ability and potential.
● Proof of language ability through an IELTS Certification.
● A strong score in either the Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT) or the Graduate Record Examination (GRE).
● Statement of Purpose (SOP) and writing samples, if needed
● Letters of References from referees and intended supervisor
Finding what fits you best can be overwhelming. IDP international education specialists guide you through your options and the necessary application processes for universities and visas. Speak to us now for free