Talk to us arrow

hipchat Call
text.skipToContent text.skipToNavigation

Australia student visa requirements for Malaysians

Here’s our guide to help you apply for a student visa to study in Australia.

As a prerequisite to study in Australia, you will need to apply for a student visa. Fret not however, if you feel unsure about how to go about doing it.

Our friendly counsellors can help explain the entire visa process to you, making it easier to understand. They have been through the process many times before with other like-minded students, so rest assured that you’ll be in good hands when it comes to applying for an Australia student visa.

Free Counselling with IDP Malaysia

Which visa do you need?

The type of student visa you need for Australia will depend on the type of study you want to pursue, and how long you want to stay in the country. You can find out more about each type of visa on the Australian Government’s Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP) website.

Apply online

You will need to create an account using DIBP’s online application system – ImmiAccount - to complete and submit your student visa application for Australia. You can also track the status of your visa through ImmiAccount once you have submitted it.

The information you need to fulfil student visa requirements will depend on your nationality and which course you’re studying. You will generally need:

  • Proof of enrolment (your Electronic Confirmation of Enrolment)
  • Your health insurance (Overseas Student Health Cover) policy details
  • Your Genuine Temporary Entrant (GTE) statement
  • Evidence of your English skills (your counsellor can book your place in the IELTS test)
  • Statement of purpose
  • Evidence of financial ability (tuition fees, living expenses, expenses for dependents, return airfare).
  • A valid passport for at least six months when entering Australia.
  • Your visa application fee
  • Academic and work experience documents

All documents need to be certified by Notary-public or solicitor. All non-English documents must be officially translated and certified.

Students must undertake health examinations at the Australian Immigration approved panel clinics. Student must provide biometrics screening at VFS Global.

If you are under 18 years of age, you will also need to provide additional documents such as parental consent.

* For a detailed visa application checklist, please speak with your counsellor.

You should submit your application no later than six weeks before your course starts, and no earlier than 12 weeks.

Your application will be allocated a unique Transaction Reference Number (TRN) by the Australian Government. You can find out about the status of your application online.

Making sure your student visa remains valid

Once you get your student visa for Australia, there are a few ways to ensure it remains valid:

  • Remain enrolled and maintain satisfactory course progress and attendance
  • Provide your Australian address to your university or college so they can contact you (do not forget to let them know if you move)
  • Continue to be able to financially support yourself while in Australia
  • Do not breach the working conditions that apply to your visa

If you want to change your qualification level, you will need to apply for a new student visa. Your counsellor can walk you through the student visa application process as well as go through the relevant information on the Australian government’s website. They can also help you prepare the necessary documents for your submission and for your student visa interview.

Contact Us for More Info!

Information That You Need To Know

Study in Different Cities in Australia

Australia Higher Education

Please select a level of study

Enter subject, choose from the list or hit search

  • Start typing, choose from the list or hit search

  • Enter subject, choose from the list or or hit search

Please type and select an institution

  • Type 3 characters of a university name and select from the list

  • Enter a university or school name and select from the list

Please select a level of study

Got any ideal countries in mind?