Australia Student Visa Requirements
Everything you need to know about Australian Visas
The visa you need will depend on the type of study you want to do, and how long you want to stay in Australia. You can find out more about each type of visa on the Australian Government’s Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP) website.
You apply online
You will need to create an account using DIBP’s online application system - ImmiAccount - to complete and submit your student visa application. You can also track the status of your visa through ImmiAccount once you have submitted it.
The information you need for your visa application will depend on your nationality and which course you’re studying. You will generally need:
- Proof of enrolment (your Electronic Confirmation of Enrolment)
- Your health insurance (Overseas Student Health Cover) policy details
- Your Genuine Temporary Entrant (GTE) statement
- Evidence of your English skills
- A valid passport
- Your visa application fee
If you are under 18 years of age, you will also need to provide additional documents such as parental consent.
You can get a full list of what’s needed for your visa application from your IDP adviser or by using the Document checklist tool on the DIBP website
You should submit your application no later than six weeks before your course starts, and no earlier than 12 weeks.
Making sure your visa remains valid
Once you get your visa, there are a number of things you need to do to ensure it remains valid, including:
- Remain enrolled and maintain satisfactory course progress and attendance
- Provide your Australian address to your institution so they can contact you (don’t forget to let them know if you move)
- Continue to be able to financially support yourself while in Australia
- Don’t breach the working conditions that apply to your visa
If you want to change your qualification level you will need to apply for a new student visa.
Read nextAccommodation in Australia