text.skipToContent text.skipToNavigation
Get in touch! Call us: 6819 0560 | WhatsApp: 9827 8469

UK student visa requirements

Everything you need to know about UK Visas

The visa you need will depend on your age and the type of study you want to do. An overview of study visa types and application requirements is included below, but for more information you should visit the Gov.UK website

Intentionally left empty for table to be placed in here

To be eligible for a Tier 4 student visa, you must:

• Have an unconditional offer of a place on a course with a licensed Tier 4 sponsor

• Be able to speak, read, write and understand English

• Have enough money to support yourself and pay for your course.

Applying for your visa online

You must apply for your student visa application online using the British Government’s official Gov.UK website (unless you are applying from North Korea, in which case you can use a hardcopy form).

You can apply up to three months before your intended date of travel to the UK. Your application date is the date when your application fee is paid.

When applying for your Tier 4 visa, you will generally need:

• A current passport or other valid travel documentation

• Evidence of funds to provide your living expenses for the duration of your course

• Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) reference number and documents used to obtain CAS

• Passport-sized colour photograph

• Tuberculosis screening (if required)

• Assessment documentation

• Academic Technology Approval Scheme (ATAS) clearance certificate (if required)

Additional documents may also be needed if you are:

• Not a citizen of the country you are applying from

• Under 18 years of age

• Have family (dependents)

If any of your supporting documents is not in English, you will need to have it translated. Each translated document must be dated, and include the translator's name and signature and confirmation that it is an accurate translation of the original document.

English language requirements

You must provide evidence of your knowledge of the English language when you apply for your visa. This usually means passing a secure English language test.

UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) have minimum English language requirements for reading, writing, listening and speaking according to your level of study. Your education institution (sponsor) may have different English language requirements.

There is a chance you may be interviewed by a UKVI officer as part of the visa application process. If you cannot hold a simple conversation without an interpreter, you may be refused entry to the UK, regardless of your English language results.

Biometric residence permit

As part of your application, you must also obtain a biometric residence permit (BRP) from UKVI. You will need to make an appointment with UKVI to have your fingers and thumbs scanned and a digital photo taken of your face.

Register today
For a free counselling session
Over 50 years of helping students
  • Read next
    People & culture in The UK
Register today
For a free counselling session
Over 50 years of helping students
  • Read next
    People & culture in The UK