Talk to us arrow

hipchat Call
text.skipToContent text.skipToNavigation

Student safety in the UK

Health and safety tips when staying in the UK

All British universities pay extreme attention to the safety of their students on campus. As an international student, you wil have access to various points of contacts for any kind of emergency. Do not worry, 24-hour security is provided at most campuses.

Contact your university security service

Almost all campuses in the UK have a special body to ensure the safety of their international students. So, as the first step, check if your school offers one and keep the security officer’s number saved in your phone.

Various universities and schools also offer services like shuttles and security escorts to drop you to your accommodation or stations after hours. Some go a step further and have their own mobile apps with a direct line for students to get in touch with the security. Also, there is CCTV surveillance and security that work round the clock on the premises.

If, at any point of time, you feel unsafe in and around your campus or accommodation, do not hesitate to get in touch with your college authorities.

In an emergency

If you happen to face any emergency, call the toll free number 999 or 112. This is a common number that can be used for fire, police or ambulance.

Always, report a crime however big or small it may be. Additional numbers that you must save in your phone include:

  • Gas emergency – If you think you have a gas leakage or smell gas, call 0800 111 999
  • NHS Direct – Reach out to 24-hour health helpline on 0845 4647
  • In non-emergency situations, call 101 (such as reporting a crime or getting general information)


Always carry your health insurance card in your wallet and keep your health insurance agency’s contact number saved in the phone. This will come in handy in case of a medical emergency.

It is important to stay alert

You must always be aware and vigilant about your surroundings. Trust your instincts and move away from areas where you feel uncomfortable and are not familiar with.

Protect your money and documents

As an international student, you must keep all your documents safe with you at all times. Your passport, identification, visa papers, and immigration forms should always be kept in a safe place. If you prefer to use cash, keep it in various places instead of a single location. It is always a better option to use a card rather than cash.

Do not carry your passport when you go out exploring. If you do not have a permanent place to live, contact your university’s international support team to get you campus storage facilities.

Explore with care

Exploring new venues and enjoying your new surroundings can be exciting but before taking a trip to these areas, research and look up any information you can find on that place to see whether it is safe for you to go venturing. Inform your friends and family about your plans beforehand. You can also share your live location with someone you trust.

Your IDP counsellors will brief you about all the precautionary measures before you leave Malaysia during your pre-departure session.

Information That You Need To Know

Study in Different Cities in UK

UK Higher Education Level

Please select a level of study

Enter subject, choose from the list or hit search

  • Start typing, choose from the list or hit search

  • Enter subject, choose from the list or or hit search

Please type and select an institution

  • Type 3 characters of a university name and select from the list

  • Enter a university or school name and select from the list

Please select a level of study

Got any ideal countries in mind?