What is the Minimum IELTS Score to Get Ireland PR and Work There
Ireland is one of the world’s best destinations not just for study, but to develop career opportunities and as a country to live and settle in.
From world-recognised universities to its verdant green rolling hills and the dynamic Irish culture, it’s no wonder that Ireland attracts talent from all over the world to its shores.
If you are looking to work in Ireland and gain permanent residency there, taking the IELTS test is an essential step for one of the pathways.
The Pathways To Work In Ireland & Obtain A PR
In order to get a PR in Ireland, there are various routes that you can take. But regardless of your approach to permanent residency, you will have to live legally in Ireland for at least 5 years.
The first route is by being an international student and studying for your degree in an Irish University. This means obtaining a Stamp 2 visa in your passport.
This will allow you to apply for a Post Study Work Permit upon graduation to start working in Ireland for up to 2 years and find suitable employment.
The IELTS Band Scores Required
Study Visa Route
To obtain a study visa to begin your studies in Ireland (and take the study route to an eventual PR), you will need to meet the English language requirements.
This means taking the IELTS Academic test and obtaining at least an overall band score of 5.0.
In addition, your English language standard (or IELTS test in this instance) must have been issued within 2 years of the expected start date of your course.
While the study visa application only requires you to reach a band score of 5.0, we do recommend you to aim higher as most universities in Ireland will require you to have an overall band score of 5.5 to 6.0.
- Trinity College Dublin: IELTS overall band score of 6.5
- Cork Institute of Technology: IELTS overall band score of 6.0
- Institute of Technology Blanchardstown: IELTS overall band score of 5.5
General Employment Route & Critical Skills Route
While there isn’t an explicit IELTS band score required for application, there are other criteria that will be assessed before you can be granted a visa.
For the General Employment Permit, you’ll be assessed according to a list of eligibility criteria including a minimum annual salary of around €30,000 as well as possessing the necessary qualifications and skills required for the role.
For the Critical Skills Permit, you will be assessed according to a list of conditions that include a minimum annual salary of €32,000 for a restricted number of occupations as well as a relevant degree qualification.
Even though an IELTS test isn’t stated, it is recommended to get at least a 5.0 overall band score for the general test as part of your application to boost your chances as well as improve your level of English for general living and interaction in Ireland.
Embark On Your Journey To Obtaining PR In Ireland
If you are looking to study, work or obtain permanent residency in Ireland, it’s time to take action and we can help you with the process!
And the first step is to get prepared for your IELTS test.
At IDP, we have the tools to help you better prepare for your IELTS test so that you can score better and secure work and PR visas in Ireland.
Ready to start?
Book your test with us today!
You can also read:
- IELTS Indicator
- IELTS Webinar
- 5 Benefits of Computer Delivered IELTS
- 5 Best Tips For Your IELTS Listening and Reading Test
- 5 Best Tips for your IELTS Writing and Speaking Tests
- 5 Tips Sukses IELTS
- 6 IELTS Preparation Tips to Help You Ace the Test
- What A Band 7 And Above IELTS Written Test Piece Looks Like
- Computer Delivered IELTS is Now Available at IDP Indonesia
- IELTS 101: The Different Types of IELTS Tests and How You Can Benefit
- What is The Minimum IELTS Score to Get Australian PR and Work There?
- What is the Minimum IELTS Score to Get Canada PR and Work There?
- What is the Minimum IELTS Score to Get Ireland PR and Work There?
- What is the Minimum IELTS Score to Get New Zealand PR and Work There?
- What is the Minimum IELTS Score to Get UK PR and Work There?
- What is the Minimum IELTS Score to Get USA PR and Work There?
- Types of IELTS required for living and studying in The UK
- The Minimum IELTS Band Scores for Canada Universities
- The Minimum IELTS Band Scores for Ireland Universities
- The Minimum IELTS Band Scores for New Zealand Universities
- Paper vs Computer-Delivered IELTS : Why More are Choosing The Latter